Saturday, March 04, 2006

The price of nice


Over the past few weeks, I have grown ten strange appendages. After biting my nails for my whole life, for some reason I just stopped. And people have always told me to stop, so I figured it might be worth a try.

My hands look, well, nice, but I'm just not sure it's worth it. I am accidentally scratching myself and others. I am accidentally scratching squeaky surfaces, making my blood run cold. I am constantly getting dirt under my fingernails and am obsessed with cleaning them. And now I'm worried about breaking them. If I paint them, I'm going to be afraid of chipping the polish. And typing, something I do for hours a day, feels weird. Why do women do this?

I'm starting to understand that long fingernails are a minor feminist issue. Fingernails are restrictive, much like heels or skirts or makeup. When constrained by these items, women can't be as active as men for fear of hurting themselves or making a mess.

Of course women aren't less feminist if they have long nails (or wear heels or skirts or makeup for that matter - something I did for years in a corporate workplace). But a society that expects women to have long nails is perhaps not completely supportive of the idea that women should have as much freedom as men.

So to all you who told me to grow my fingernails, poo. But I might keep trying it a bit longer anyway.

|

4 Comments:

  • You could always just keep them neatly trimmed to a short length. In my (male) opinion, good looking fingernails have more to do with integrity than length. A ragged chewed edge looks bad, a neatly trimmed nail cropped back far enough that no dirt can get in looks just fine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 06, 2006 4:07 pm  

  • i guess i disagree in that i see fingernails as the ultimate tool. once you're used to them then they become scrapers, screwdrivers and fantastic for fishing things out of kids noses. i never paint mine but try to keep them neat. they don't get in my way and if they break i find it an inconvenience because i've lost that essential tool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 09, 2006 9:52 am  

  • a society that expects men to have short and unpainted nails is perhaps not completely supportive of the idea that men should have as much freedom as women.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 19, 2007 10:44 pm  

  • Dunno .... chewed nails do look prety silly but not as bad as a woman trying to operate a keyboard with super long and garishly coloured talons ( the 'attached' variety!)by using the pads of her fingers, necessitating the laying of the fakes across the keys in order that they may be struck. This is usually accompanied by a bit of foul language and the suggestion that you (who caused the inconvenience by needing something typed) are an utter dissapointment to the human race. Keep 'em trimmed - they are most useful for removing stapels from paper,feet (when left on the carpet) other peoples flesh (when expelled deliberatly/accidentally from a staple gun) horses hooves (ditto) and the like. Also really useful for undoing 'things' ... screws, stuck access covers .. etc.,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 03, 2007 4:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home