Sunday, January 23, 2005

Inauguration sickness

Early last Friday morning I couldn't sleep. Little did I know it was the start of a terrible tummy bug - but that's a story you don't want to hear. I turned on the telly. At that time of day the only thing on is US morning talk programs from the previous day.

It was the day of the inauguration of Dubya, and I've never seen more sycophantic political coverage in my life. Sure, some US networks are not well-known for being critical of the President, but I didn't realise everyone lost their edge on inauguration day.

So imagine how fiercely I nodded my head when Bob Herbert expressed in The New York Times just how distasteful this inauguration partying really is. A frivolous, expensive, over the top inauguration in war time is completely disrespectful to fighting soldiers and their families. The fact that the President didn't once mention the work Iraq in his address is unforgivable. Read it.

PS Don't have a login for The New York Times or other sites people link to? Try this.