Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Feedback

Several friends have responded to my previous post. One said, "unfortunately, as far as I can tell, most people ARE stupid AND selfish." Another, "I think people are afraid and cowards, not stupid or malicious." Of course I'd prefer to accept the latter, but only if it's the truth. I know that a lot of people have probably had a lot of intelligent things to say about the election and I should probably do some reading when I'm in the right state of mind.

It looks like either the government will win a majority in the Senate, or the balance of power will be held by Family First. So we're either fucked or double-fucked.

The very name "Family First" gives some explanation for why the government was re-elected. People with children often care more about their families than anything else. They're also so involved with their families that it's difficult to see outside them. Caring about your family when you don't care about refugees (say) is considered selfless. There's something screwed up with this. I don't have children, so for a long time I've felt that I shouldn't make a judgment about other people who do. However, I know some people who love their partner and children, and think that other people in the world matter as well. So my patience with people who can't seem to do this is beginning to wane.

In other news, it's 34 degrees right now. Yikes.