Friday, September 10, 2004

Divine she ain't

I try not to buy the paper on Thursdays so I don't accidentally read Miranda Devine's column. I know someone who does the opposite. Whether it's because he's a masochist or he just thinks it's important to know what idiots think, I don't know, but I thought of him when I chose to read silly Miranda today.

Ms Devine's entire column is devoted to enumerating many examples of terrorism and war crimes that have been perpetrated by women.

What's your point Miranda? Of course women can be just as awful as men. Given the worst circumstances, both can be hideous. This isn't news. Didn't you go to high school?

Certainly terrorism is awful. What happened in Beslan made me sick. But simply pointing out that women can no longer be considered the "gentler sex" is a sexist distraction.

Even if it can be successfully argued that men are more treacherous than women in general (and I'm not taking a bet either way), guess what? News flash! Terrorists aren't normal people. Leslie Cannold (a fellow at the University of Melbourne's Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics, so it's not exactly an equal battle of wits between her and silly Miranda) wrote something very very good about this in the same publication, here.


I've learned my lesson. I will turn the page next time.